Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Thyroid

So, I haven't been to the doctor since being a teenager because of anxiety that I will be told bad news.  I finally took the leap and went to the doctor's a few weeks ago because of my depression, anxiety, and overall yucky-ness.  She ordered blood tests and low and behold, I have a thyroid disorder.  I have what is called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an auto-immune disorder that attacks the thyroid.  This condition can cause the depression and anxiety symptoms that I have been experiencing as well as the weight gain and inability to lose weight.  She prescribed Levothyroxine, which is a synthetic thyroid hormone and I will be on it for the rest of my life.  She also sent me to have an ultrasound done on my thyroid which showed that I have cysts in my thyroid.  So, on Tuesday I will be going to get a Fine Needle Aspiration biopsy done.  Although I am not anxious about the procedure itself, I am not really excited about having a needle stuck into my neck.  I am more anxious about the result and what will come after.  My mother had to have her thyroid removed, and I am pretty nervous about having to have surgery.  I shall see what the outcome will be...

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Carrie, that means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. breast cancer surgeon Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete